When you hire a criminal defense lawyer to represent you in court, you probably expect him to win the case. I don’t blame you for thinking that way because you have every right to want to avoid time you would have to spend in jail. I also know that some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the criminal attorneys of their choice. Here are some things you should expect from your criminal defense attorney:
1. Expertise in the right field. Choose a lawyer specializing in the right area of the law. If you have been accused of DUI, there is no point to hire somebody who doesn’t specialize in this field of law. Your goal is to select somebody who have tons of experience defending his clients against DUI charges.
2. Education. If you can , try to hire somebody with a degree from Harvard. Having said that, there are many other law schools that are recognized nationwide. You should always inquire about the education of your potential lawyer and he should never object to it.
3. Good communication skills. What is the point of hiring somebody who doesn’t even know how to express himself? This might be one of the most important traits you will be looking for in the lawyer you want to hire.
4. Possible outcomes of your case. I know that you are always hoping to win your case, but be realistic and ask your lawyer what is going to happen in case you lose. Sometimes the loss doesn’t have to be as hard as you think it might be.
5. It is also a good idea to find out in advance who the main attorney on a case is going to be. If you want to be represented bu a specific attorney, you have every right to it. Make sure that you inquire in advance who from the legal firm of your choice if going to represent you. You don’t want any junior attorneys representing you especially since they might not have as much experience as you would like them to have.