If you are injured in an accident caused by someone else’s careless or reckless behaviors, you may be considering your options. Should you talk to a lawyer? What about insurance companies? And what about personal injury claims? These are common questions, and they are best answered by professionals.
Put together by a personal injury lawyer in Douglasville, GA, here are 5 reasons why it is a good idea to hire a personal injury lawyer before making any important decisions.
1. Experience with Personal Injury Claims
If you are injured and want to pursue financial compensation, you want to hire a lawyer who knows how to build and succeed with this type of case. A personal injury lawyer has knowledge of applicable personal injury laws, the process of these claims and how to overcome obstacles.
After an accident, it is natural that you are emotional. And the processes involved with medical appointments or treatment, insurance claims and property loss can be overwhelming. By hiring a personal injury lawyer, you have the benefit of objectivity on your side. Your lawyer can objectively look at your situation and the evidence, and negotiate on your behalf.
3. Access to Resources
Personal injury claims require the plaintiff (i.e. the victim) to prove their case. Even if you are severely injured, this process is difficult to prove on your own. By hiring a personal injury lawyer, you have access to valuable resources. These include:
- Other lawyers – Many lawyers specialize in certain types of case, even down to certain injuries. When you work with a lawyer, you have access to additional legal professionals who can bolster your claim.
- Investigators – Personal injury lawyers work with investigators who know how to gather evidence and build a case. These professionals can re-enact accidents, interview witnesses and gather medical and other records.
- Expert Witnesses – If your injury was caused by medical malpractice, proving your claim may rely on the opinions of expert witnesses. Personal injury lawyers often have relationships with expert witnesses that they can trust to help them prove their clients’ cases.
4. Alternatives to Trial
Not all personal injury cases go to trial. In fact, many are resolved through alternative dispute resolution methods like mediation. These alternatives give both sides a chance to state their position and attempt to reach a settlement that both parties agree to. If you agree to a settlement offer, then you agree to drop your personal injury lawsuit against the other party. Your personal injury lawyer will help you negotiate and determine if the settlement offer is reasonable. If not, then your case may proceed to trial.
5. Experience with Jury Trials
If your personal injury claim goes to trial, you will be required to appear, and may have to take the stand to testify. This process can be overwhelming as you are recovering from your injuries. This process also can take months or even years to complete. But if you hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you, you can relax a bit as this process unfolds. Your lawyer will represent you in court. He or she may be able to appear on your behalf at certain hearings. He or she will file documents on your behalf and ensure that your claim meets legal guidelines. And finally, he or she will ensure that your legal rights are protected.